Fresh, Fast and Easy Focaccia
This recipe is makes the perfect amount for 2 hungry people. You can use the bread for dipping into soup, or slice it horizontally and use to make your favourite sandwiches.
2 1/4 tsp or 1pkt of dry yeast
2 tsp white sugar
1/3 cup water
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
additional recommended ingredients:
shredded cheese (mozzarella or parmesan is best)
- Mix together yeast, sugar and water until dissolved. Let sit for 10 minutes while the yeast activates.
- While waiting for the yeast to activate, whisk together the flour, salt, and any herbs you may want to add to the bread.
- Add yeast mixture to dry ingredients, and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Slowly add more water as needed, 1 tbsp at a time (you do not want to over saturate the dough).
- Once the dough is pulled together, knead on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes.
- Oil a bowl with 1 tbsp of olive oil, and place ball of dough in. Roll it around to coat it, then cover the bowl with a wet towel and keep it in a draft free, warm space, and let it rise for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 245C/475F.
- Oil your baking tray or skillet with 1tbsp olive oil (or a bit more if you want your bread with a bit more flavour and crunch).
- Take your dough out of the bowl gently. It will deflate but you do not want to over handle it. Place dough on baking tray and spread out gently onto the oil. It will be quite elastic, be careful not to spread it too thin. Let rise for another 15 minutes under a towel.
- Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and bake for 10 minutes. Take out, sprinkle with cheese and garlic if desired, and bake for another 10 minutes or until desired firmness.
- Once taken out of the oven, drizzle more olive oil (1/2 tbsp) on top. Let cool. Serve.